Friday, October 17, 2008


I saw something at work today that I keep thinking about. I was walking through the children's hospital and I saw a little girl (she couldn't have been more than 3 or 4) who had a medical halo brace on. These braces are generally used to allow cervical fractures to heal. The brace was just about as tall as she was and was literally screwed into her head. The thing that I keep thinking about is that this little girl who was wearing this monster of a brace had a princess tiara attached to the top of the brace and she was smiling from ear to ear. I walk through the children's hospital every day and every day I feel my chest get tight as I see sick kids who don't deserve to be sick and parents who don't deserve to have sick kids. And every day, I thank God that He has blessed our family with a healthy, happy, beautiful baby girl. I hope that when the time comes that I don't walk through the children's hospital on a daily basis, I will still be rawly thankful for the gift that God has given us. 

3 comments:

melanie said...

You will because you've chosen to remember.
I like the tiara idea. Every little girl needs to be reminded that she is a princess.
Then again, every grown-up girl does too. It's easy to remind a child, but not easy to remind a grown woman, and they're the ones who have forgotten.

Reverb said...

Love it.

I'm not sure if you've seen this blog before, but you should check out Danielle @ http://6yearmed.blogspot.com/

Sonja Chandler (The Sideline Mom) said...

Last year my now 7 year old had a ruptured appendix which landed us at VCH for 2 weeks. During that time I too witnessed children and their parents in unbelievable circumstances that I myself could not imagine going through. I was NEVER more grateful in my entire life for the health and fairly normal circumstances I found myself in. It was a wake up call because before that I took it for granted a bit. Becasue of our time there I will never forget how blessed and healthy we are and I will never forget those family's.