98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Miscelaineous Music - October Edition
Because I have a blog and because I can, I am going to subject you to my musical taste. Perhaps this is an abuse of power. I don't care. Every month, I am going to post a piece of music that I think you should be aware of. I will call it Miscelaineous Music (get it?). This first one may be a bit of a stretch for some of you. It's Samuel Barber's violin concerto. I think it's my favorite piece of classical music. Every time I listen to it, I feel like my heart gets bigger (and then promptly shrinks back down as my husband will attest to). Below is a video of Anne Akiko Meyers playing the first movement of the concerto (side note - she's using a Stradivarius violin from 1730 that once belonged to the king of Spain). If you like it, listen to the second movement here. If you don't like it, think of it like eating your vegetables - you may not like the taste, but it is indeed good for you. And yes, Miscelaineous is my rapper name. Happy listening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment