
98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Friday, October 24, 2008
Science Friday
This is a picture that I took at work today. Any guesses at what it is? I'll give you a hint, it's mouse tissue that has been fluorescently labeled in order to visualize specific structures within the tissue. The blue dots are the nuclei of the cells that make up the tissue and the green is marking a structure called the basement membrane. Ok, enough hints. Give me your best guess.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Based on what you have talked about before I would say it's the mouse's stomach lining.
Steve K
Close but no cigar, Steve.
mouse intestines...it's circular
We have a winner!
Hehe...I secretly just wanted to beat Steve :) I think you could sell these pictures as artwork...you could open an etsy account.
Well,
I was sooo going to say mouse intestines.
Really. Dangit, Allison.
Nice work!
Post a Comment