
So I'm starting to think about my New Year's resolutions. While I don't have a complete list yet, one thing I would like to accomplish is to read more books. I am not a reader. But I will say that I have genuinely liked (loved, even) every single book I have ever read. I'm not quite sure why I don't read more. Maybe it's because I'm a slow reader. I figure that if the author took the time to choose each word carefully, I should take the time to read each word with intention. Nice thought, but it takes forever. Which brings me to my next point... reading makes me sleepy. I'm lucky if I get through one chapter before I need to take a nap. That being said, I do like to read. Fiction, non-fiction - I like it all. My daughter is even named after the author of my all time favorite book. So, this year I resolve to read more (and by more I mean at least 2 books - hey, I'm trying to be realistic). Stay tuned for the rest of my New Year's resolutions. And if anyone has any suggestions for what I should read, let me know.
4 comments:
That may well be my favorite book too. Jon and I used to sit in bed while I read it out loud. We named our old dog Scout.
I was taught to skim-read when I was young, which basically means that I read really, really fast. It's not good though, because the details are lost when one reads that fast.
Slow and steady wins the race!
Might I suggest "Passion for Jesus" by Mike Bickle. It is phenomenal.
I like Chuck Palahniuk for a little bit of darker fiction.
Anything postmodern is good (I think), .... Italo Calvino is a fav. and so Tom Robbins.
CS Lewis' Letters from Children will blow the doors of your Chevy.
Anne Lamott (both fiction and non) for neat stories about real people finding God.
Kenneth Burke (my profile pic) was just nutty enough to be not just brilliant but hilarious too.
You need to read Robert Fulgham - "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarden" is still the best. "It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It" is a close second followed, again closley, by "What In the World Have I Done".
His books are VERY easy to read and yet funny, insightful, thought provoking and sometimes provide that "Aha" moment.
Post a Comment