
98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Cute Baby or Man-Eating Worm?
Harper has the uncanny ability to sense when Rob and I are awake. Even though she sleeps in her crib, down the hall, with the door closed, she knows when we are awake. Be it 2am or 7am, if we roll over in bed or (heaven forbid) start talking softly to each other, she wakes up and alerts us (a nice way of putting it) that she wants to come hang out with us. It's really weird. I thought I was the only one that noticed it, but Rob confirmed my suspicions this morning. It makes me think of the movie Tremors (you know, the Kevin Bacon classic). If you haven't seen this movie, don't bother. Basically, a bunch of gigantic worms live in the ground underneath a small isolated town. Although the worms are blind, they can perceive the vibrations that the townspeople make when they drive or walk or do just about anything. Using the vibrations to locate the people, the worms terrorize and eat many of the townspeople until they ultimately meet their match (Kevin Bacon). Anyways, Harper's ability to perceive our micro-movements and whispers reminds me of these worms. I should tell you that I thought of this connection at 4 in the morning. It made more sense then.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Scout looks like a tremor sometimes, when his underbite is especially bad. I would imagine that Harper will someday read this and use this comparison to assert some type of emotional abuse. I would have anyway. : )
I am laughing out loud at your description of "Tremors." Completely absurd concept for a movie that totally delivered on cheese factor alone. Wasn't Reba McEntire in that too? Even more absurd.
This is a hilarious comparison. You've done what Burke would call "perspective by incongruity." I love it!
Okay - first of all - EVERYONE knows the movie you're referring to because it seems to run in a continuous loop on TBS or some such channel. Secondly, it's that soft-talking at 2:00 a.m. that likely brought about the cute baby/man eating worm - interesting how things come around, huh?
I was thinking the same thing lauriecooper said about that soft-talking at 2 in the morning...
Or is the soft-talking more of...stop snoring, Rob...
But I have never seen nor heard of said movie. After your description, I guess I shouldn't sweat it though!
Post a Comment