Friday, January 2, 2009

I Am Officially Old/ Cinnamon Challenge

I spent the better part of yesterday in my pajamas. In fact, I spent all day in my pajamas. New Year's Eve totally wiped me out. Luckily, it wiped Harper out too. She spent the day napping and playing quietly with her toys (she's awesome). For a mom and a kid who are used to being sound asleep by 10pm, staying up to see the ball drop was a stretch. Don't worry, I didn't make Harper stay up until midnight. Against her better judgement, she went to bed around 10. 

On another note, at the NYE party that we went to, the question of whether or not it is possible to eat a tablespoon of cinnamon came up. One party-goer took the challenge...and failed miserably. Being the rationalizer that I am, I couldn't understand why it was so difficult. I figured that if I was patient and didn't panic, I could successfully swallow the cinnamon. 
So... I tried it in the safety and privacy of my own kitchen this morning. And...I was wrong (thankfully no video was taken). It was, in fact, horrible. The burning. The suffocation. I too failed miserably. I'm not saying it's impossible. With the proper training and conditioning, I'm sure it can be done. I'm just pretty sure that I am not the person to do it. But hey, you give it a try and tell me what you think. If you are too chicken, watch other people's attempts on YouTube


7 comments:

lizzytro said...

I was hoping this would be the science friday edition, and you would explain why it was impossible to eat that much cinnamon. Next week.

Kelly said...

YOu wouldn;t think it would be that difficult. But after watching some of thsoe videos, I think I'll pass!

Unknown said...

I KNEW you would try this! You are waaaaay too competitive. :-)

melanie said...

Yes, yes, I (we) must now all try this, but only after some careful thought and calculation.
I'll let you know how it goes.
I wonder if it is because of it's tiny, powder-like consistency, much like cocoa.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Elaine that's hilarious.

Erin Hull said...

The above comment was posted by Erin, not Nathan. Although I will be trying to convince him to try it.

DanThoms said...

I love that you tried this. Next thing is the milk challenge.