Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Know of Any Good Children's Books?

Harper really likes to read books. From a very young age (3 or 4 months) she cold turn the pages of her board books as I read them to her. Now she will pull books out of her toy box and bring them to me to read. Even though I don't read much myself, I have always had a sentimental attachment to books. I love to walk around in book stores and I love to buy books. I really want Harper to be a more veracious reader than I am, so I figure that I need to diligently cultivate her love of books. This brings me to the point of my post for today. I want to know what your favorite childhood books are. Harper has a birthday coming up and I can't think of a better present than expanding her library a little. So, come on. Help me out. Give me some good suggestions. I've listed a few of my favorite books below.
  • The Little Prince - I'm pretty sure that the secrete to life is in this book.

  • The Lorax - I like all Dr. Seuss books, but this may be my favorite. 

  • Where the Sidewalk Ends - Just fun and great illustrations

  • Charlotte's Web - The end is still a tear jerker for me.

  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh - When I was little, my imaginary friends were 3 rats  (a story for another day) so maybe that's why I like this one so much.
 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK finally something I may know a little about!
These are all generally good toddler books, maybe not quiet the classics like you listed.
1)The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The BIG Hungry Bear By Don and Audrey Wood(my personal Fav.)
2) Any Sandra Boyton book kids find the rhymes memorable and funny leading to early literacy skills (Barnyard Dance is cute)
3)a couple of classics- The very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle
4)Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
5) My mother is a Baker, adapted by Dr. Jean Feldman - Dr. Jean takes children's songs and adapts them to books, so the books are easily sung as well. Another way to gain early literacy skills.
6) For simply visual coolness there are a couple of new books that use SCANIMATION to make the pictures move! Sort of like the holographic cards but way better. Gallop! by Rufus Butler Seder is the one we have.
7) Ok so the best for last, Llama Llama Mad at Mama By Anna Dewdney
Kids love it and I don't mind reading it ten thousand times. She also has Llama Llama Red Pajama.
Hope this helps, if not she will get all these when she is in my room

Kelly said...

If you don't already have it-Goodnight Moon was always a big hit in our house. I could probably recite the entire book. I think I read it 10 times a day.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of my mom without remebering the hours she spent reading Beatrix Potter's "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" to our kids. Katie remembers it the most I think as she was almost nine when her Granny died, but Granny made sure that Caroline and Clay heard the story many times also. You can't go wrong with this classic.

Corey H said...

- Miss Suzy by Miriam Young was one of my absolute favorites, and still is.
- Corduroy
- Harold and the Purple Crayon (also contains life's secrets)
- Paddington Bear rings a bell? Not sure what those stories were called. Maybe just plain Paddington Bear.
- I also love The Very Hungry Caterpillar for its colors...
- Any Little Golden Book is going to have great pictures that make it easy for little ones to "follow along." Some stories are better than others, but the good ones are classic. Don't go for the "new" ones like Wall-E, etc.

How cool that she's a little bookworm!

Corey H said...

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!

BookChook said...

I'm a children's book reviewer, but I swear I will keep this short!

Any of Mem Fox's books - I have never read one I didn't love. Where Is the Green Sheep is a great one for the under fives, because they learn it by heart and then use it to practice reading with.

Can't You Sleep Little Bear? by Martin Waddell, Where did Thursday go? by Janeen Brian are both lovely bedtime books.

Where the Wild Things Are is a classic and still popular today.

Are You My Mother? and Go, Dog, Go by P D.Eastman are both great beginning to read books that are also still fun to read aloud.

There, I'm stopping!

Oops, one more thing, I totally agree with Corey H about the Wall-E type books. Your little one is so lucky to be growing into a great library!

lauriecooper said...

Okay - can't let this one go. First I hated reading Dr. Suess books to my kids - it was like walking around in circles for hours - just too monotonous. So yes, I am a terrible mother for that fact alone. HOWEVER.....never, ever pass up an opportunity to read to her, buy them a book, send extra money for book fairs at school or take her to the library. Let her see you read. Let her read whenever she wants (within reason). I am CONVINCED that reading and the love of it is the sole reason my kids all performed well in school and were confident learners. Favorite books: all of Laura Ingalls Wilder books - my mother read them to my little sister and me when we were young. And Charlotte's Web too. UE already told me what we're getting Harper for her birthday.

Erin Hull said...

Hungry Caterpiller and we have a giant copy of it. We like a lot of Eric Carle's other books too. Um, The Big Yellow Taxi, Guess How Much I Love You, Goodnight Moon, and the Harold and the Purple Crayon Books.

For older ones- The Giving Tree, I'll Love You Forever, The Velveteen Rabbit, and any of Max Lucado's children's books.