Two years ago, a miracle happened in my refrigerator. I like eating rye bread for breakfast on the weekends. Because I only eat toast on the weekends, my loaf of bread typically lasts a long time. In fact, it usually gets moldy before I finish it. However, this was not the case with a loaf of rye bread that I bought a while back. I was about halfway through the loaf when the expiration date on the bag caught my attention. It said that the bread had been expired for 6 months. I inspected each of the remaining pieces of bread and found no evidence of mold so I put it all back in the refrigerator. Each Saturday morning, I would take the bread out of the refrigerator, inspect it, find no mold, and make toast. This went on for another 2 months before I actually finished the loaf. As the weeks went on, I became rather attached to my magical loaf of rye bread. I was convinced that it had acquired special medicinal properties. It was a sad day the morning I toasted the last piece. I have had several loaves of rye bread since then and none of them has even come close to the 8 month mark set by my magical loaf. It was a miracle, I tell you. 98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Magic Bread
Two years ago, a miracle happened in my refrigerator. I like eating rye bread for breakfast on the weekends. Because I only eat toast on the weekends, my loaf of bread typically lasts a long time. In fact, it usually gets moldy before I finish it. However, this was not the case with a loaf of rye bread that I bought a while back. I was about halfway through the loaf when the expiration date on the bag caught my attention. It said that the bread had been expired for 6 months. I inspected each of the remaining pieces of bread and found no evidence of mold so I put it all back in the refrigerator. Each Saturday morning, I would take the bread out of the refrigerator, inspect it, find no mold, and make toast. This went on for another 2 months before I actually finished the loaf. As the weeks went on, I became rather attached to my magical loaf of rye bread. I was convinced that it had acquired special medicinal properties. It was a sad day the morning I toasted the last piece. I have had several loaves of rye bread since then and none of them has even come close to the 8 month mark set by my magical loaf. It was a miracle, I tell you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love this story! I hope you find a loaf that will bring you the same joy and happiness as the bread in Cincy down there in Nashville.
Ok., I must admit that kind of freaks me out.
That's amazing. I've never had a loaf last longer than two months. Eggs on the other hand...
Post a Comment