Thursday, March 5, 2009

Contest Time!

Every morning, I drive past a billboard that tells me how high the Powerball lottery jackpot is and every morning, I dream about how I would spend the money that I just know I am going to win someday. Never mind the fact that I probably only buy two lottery tickets a year. I am going to win the big one some day. And when I do, I know how I'm going to spend every penny of it. Here are a few of my purchases. 
  • In the practical category, I would put a big hunk of the money in a trust fund for Harper.
  • In the gift category, I would take my family and friends on a cruise.
  • In the splurge on myself category, I would buy a black thunderbird with custom red leather interior. 

Here's where the contest part comes in. I want to know how you would spend the money if you won the lottery. Leave a comment and tell me. I will randomly pick one lucky comment leaver to receive a jackpot of their own - a Starbucks gift card (if you don't like Starbucks, we can work something out). The contest will end on Saturday at 8pm central time. So, get your comment in by then. Yeah a contest! I'm excited already!


16 comments:

lizzytro said...

1 - i'm paying for my adoption.
2 - i'm paying off all my debt.
3 - i'll splurge for new cars, but nothing fancy...safe, reliable, economical, and maybe a mini van for Steve.
4 - i'm paying the expenses for others to adopt. i know many who want to adopt but are deterred by the cost. costs should not be a fator, and i would want people to adopt if money were not an issue.

Tie said...

1. New cell phone with new number.
2. Week long trip to Vegas.
3. Life long trip to the beach.

j steg said...

Liz already won.

puddlegirl said...

1.) Help VWS get a new building.
2.) New Car... I miss my Accord.
3.) Put bunches into savings for Harrison and Lincoln.
4.) Pay off my house. (and hire someone to do my laundry.)

lizzytro said...

Thanks Josh!

the Wojos said...

I agree that lizzytro has the best answers. I can't beat that, BUT this is what I'd do. First, how much are we talking here? 2 million or 200 million? There's no difference to me actually since I'll never see either amount, but there's a difference if you're dreaming.
1) I would give my old lab a hefty donation. Sounds generous, but Dave Hildeman is a very smart, good man with the best of intentions and has such a passion for his research I have never seen elsewhere.
2) I would sometimes pay for people's groceries in line at the supermarket. I sometimes get that urge to just pay for the person in front of me as a random act of kindness.
3) I would fund a city wide public transportation plan that would create pedestrian/bike paths for every road.
3) I would pay people to not buy cars and buy bikes. (physical limitations exist of course)
4) if there's anything left, I'd invest to keep the dream going!

the Wojos said...

"David" is Sara Wojo, by the way, Elaine.

Erin Hull said...

1.) Put a substantial amount in the highest interest earning account possible for me and my family.
2.)Buy a fairly good sized piece of farmable, beautiful, secluded, and far enough from either coast piece of land.
3.) Set some aside for ecologically sustainable building materials for house and barn on said land.
4.)Give the rest away to organizations like The Zoe Foundation, The Call, Missions, and others.

-Erin Hull

MarkHattan said...

Spend a year going to every big sporting event that I've ever wanted to attend: Super Bowl, Final Four, The Masters, Indy 500, World Series, and a bunch of college bowl games.
- Mark Hattan

melanie said...

Wait...
Are you recycling the gift card you just won?
(And if you are, it's okay because I did!)

lauriecooper said...

UE and I have discussed this. (And I'm talking about when it gets up over $100 million.) We'd pay off the homes of all our families and close friends. We'd give enough to the church to be able to fund a FULLY staffed children and family minitry (but not so much that volunteers wouldn't be necessary). Then we'd build an academy for underpriveliged children that would employ all family and friends who wanted to work there to teach, coach, mentor, and spiritually guide a new generation of upright and Christian citizens. Yeah, sounds like a Miss America speach but 100% true! I can think of nothing I'd rather do!

Reverb said...

Hmm...

* Start a biznistry of some sort that makes a profit, but turns it over to help people.

* Have a house that can hold lots and lots of people...on approximately 12.4 acres.

* Build a new church building with a functional halfway-house for people in transition.

* Let Allison stay home and have 4 bio-babies and buy another one from somewhere inconvenient.

* Cruise for the friends and family sounds excellent!

Corey H said...

No need for a prize here, but I wanted to play along.

1- I would pay off my house and parents' houses.

2- Pay off student loans.

3- Take our parents and siblings to Disney World for a week.

4- Set aside some college money for kid(s).

5- Find a way to take shelter animals to senior citizens for companionship and fund their cost of care.

DanThoms said...

I am such a boring person. I would pay off my mortgage and my family's, put a million or two in investments, fix my house, and strategically give the rest away.

Unknown said...

After taking car of me and my family, and giving back to God what He blessed me with, I would build a home for Carol and I where we could have an animal sanctuary - a place where abandoned and lost pets could have a safe, happy home.

Anonymous said...

OK so I know this is LONG over and of course Laurie HAD to win but I still wanted to play along. This is often a game we play with the kids to build math skills and just get an idea of what they feel is important. I don't want any "Babylon" kids in my house. : )

* 10% to the church
* 1 mill for each kid to be received upon college grad. or proof of earning 1 mill on their own.(just to be open minded that school is not for everyone)
* College paid for for our kids, nieces and nephews,grandchildren,and close friends kids.
*Non-profits-Rick and Heather- A placed where people in need can trade services for the financial help they need or a place to stay.
Tori- animal spay/neutering service for free in rural areas.
Ian- community center for our little town.
*Scholarship for the daycare teacher's children to attend at no charge.
*fund the children's program at church, including transportation and services.
*The rest would be like houses Rick wants a studio and I want a library,kids want a pool;cars,and traveling for friends and family.