Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Work In Progress


I think I got negative parenting points over the last 24 hours:
 
   1. Last night I took Harper with me to the gym (she likes to play in the child care area with the other kids). While she was there, she totally had a poopy diaper blow-out. The child care workers must not have noticed it and I didn't notice it until I was putting her in the car. Totally gross. I put her changing pad thing down in her car seat so that she could sit on it on the way home (yes, I made my child sit in a very poopy diaper until we got home - she didn't seem to mind). I called Rob to get a bath ready for her, because she was going to need it. 

  
   2. After her bath, I let Harper stand on the bath mat while I dried her off. She likes to stomp her feet and dance on it. She took two steps off of the mat and totally wiped out on the tile floor. All while I was standing right there. Nice job, mom. 

  
   3. While driving to baby school this morning, Harper threw up in the car. She's not sick, just puked up the milk that she drank for breakfast. We were almost half way to baby school, so I decided not to turn around and go home to clean her up. I did pull over onto a side street to do a quick clean-up job (which wasn't very effective). When we got to baby school, I took her inside hoping that a little water and some paper towels would salvage her cute outfit. It was not to be. She smelled like sour milk. I took off her cute (but smelly) dress and changed her into her mismatched emergency outfit that we keep at baby school. 


Oh, well. No permanent damage done. I will try to do better tomorrow. 



5 comments:

lauriecooper said...

I actually give you EXTRA mommy points today Elaine. You didn't panic, you assessed each situation and determined the best way to handle, you called ahead about the bath to Rob, you have a securely loved daughter who doesn't care a bit about wearing mismatched clothes. All in all - extra points indeed! Good Job Mommy!

Erin Hull said...

I have done all those things atleast twice. Well...let's see. Yep atleast. Torin's slipped in the bathtub when he was small and so has Levi. One time I had to drive to the nearest store that had kids pants with Torin in his carseat in a pull-up. One time on an airplane I HAD no extra clothes (DUH) and I had to wrap an airline blanket around Torin's bottom half while I washed out his pants in the bathroom.

Don't stress it. :)

-Erin Hull

Kelly said...

You are an AMAZING mom!!!Your child is happy and healthy, what more could you want? Love, love, love the pictures-especially the ones with the glasses!

Elaine said...

Thanks everybody. It seems like I was fishing for compliments, but I really wasn't. I just feel bad when Harper has to deal with something that I could have prevented or at least handled a little better.

Christina said...

Look at that happy girl! You're doing great. Someone told me recently,"You're kids are so happy and healthy...you are a good mom." I have major mothering issues these days, particularly with my son. Anyway, aren't we all that work in progress?! Yesterday we were in the pool, which Eliana loves, and I made her do her float, which she HATES, and after I took her out of the pool because I could tell that it was not just going to be a burp. She did a giant burp and her lunch came up too. All over me and down my legs...I just walked calmly over to the outdoor shower and sprayed us both off, then headed inside to get all the way cleaned up. Then she fell down in the tub twice, softly, but still. So, hopefully that makes you feel somewhat better-or at least like you are in company with the same kind of mommies! The kind that love and do their best and count on a lot of grace! By the way, have a great trip!