98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Birds on a Wire
Once again NPR has provided me with a blog post. I heard this story the other day and I think it's one of the coolest things I've heard in a long time. A Brazilian composer named Jarbas Agnelli saw a photograph in his local newspaper of birds sitting on five parallel wires. He immediately thought that the birds looked like notes on a music staff. He sat down at the piano and played what he saw. Below is a video of the photograph along with the music that came of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That was beautiful! It actually made me tear up a little.
That could be a good photoshop project for new music in a live venue... I mean, not that the symphony is dying or anything... just a cool multi-media performace.
good post
Matt and I heard this story on the way to dinner this week! Very cool!
Post a Comment