Something that I though a lot about when I was pregnant and think even more about now is how in the world I am going to help Harper have a healthy self image. I think this is one of the biggest and most difficult tasks that moms of daughters have. It seems like the whole world is working against us on this one. Case in point - below is a picture from a recent Ralph Lauren ad campaign.

Seriously? I'm pretty sure that the laws of physics would not allow this air brushed form to actually exist in nature. When asked to comment on it, Ralph's reps gave this statement:
"For over 42 years, we have built a brand based on quality and integrity. After further investigation, we have learned that we are responsible for the poor imaging and retouching that resulted in a very distorted image of a woman's body. We have addressed the problem and going forward will take every precaution to ensure that the caliber of our artwork represents our brand appropriately."
Until our culture decides to change, what are some things that we can do to help our daughters (and ourselves) have realistic and healthy self images? Any thoughts?
5 comments:
Perhaps not directly associated with self-image - but probably more so than we realize...
I cringe when I hear adults ask small children, children, older childen, if they have a girlfriend or boyfriend - as if they must have one to be normal. Stupid! Kids need to be comfortable being with themselves.
Aside from teaching young women that the Lord created them uniquely and beautifully, we also need to stop making them think that a boyfriend, or meeting someone else' definition of beauty and therefore attracting a boyfriend, is a necessary part of devleopment!
I agree it is pretty ridiculous. This guy does airbrush work professionally, and has rollover examples of how crazy retouching and airbrushing can get:
http://homepage.mac.com/gapodaca/digital/bikini/bikini2.html
http://homepage.mac.com/gapodaca/digital/blonde/blonde1.html
I don't really blame the advertisers for the situation, though -- people buy what they are selling and they are therefore rewarded for their actions.
I am glad your question approaches the situation from a similar angle; A culture change is required for this to stop, and I think you've hit the nail on the head by asking what "we can do to help our daughters have realistic and healthy self images?" instead of "how can we regulate ad agency airbrushing" (e.g. French legislators) I think that answering that question is the key to effecting the much-needed cultural change.
I would, however, broaden the scope of your approach by including all children, male and female, i.e., "what can we do to help our children (and ourselves) have realistic and healthy self images, as well as respect, recognize and promote healthy-self images of others?"
In other words, teach ones children to respect their image and be comfortable with it by highlighting how beautiful (inside and out) they are, but also teach them to respect the same in others. I might even argue that the second part is more important, and that if everyone respected each other in that way, good self-image might naturally follow.
Yeah, what Chris said!
Thank you Laurie! That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I hate when people ask my kids that. I think it is a relly weird thing to say to a kid yet so many people do it! What da heck!
Update: Ralph Lauren has filed the model in question because she "no longer fits their sample sizes."
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33307721/ns/today-today_fashion_and_beauty/?GT1=43001
Caroline- I know. I saw that on the Today Show this morning. Unbelievable.
Post a Comment