
My first resolution last year was to read at least 2 books. Crazy ambitious, I know. And guess what? I accomplished this one! Go me.
Next, I resolved to watch less TV. I didn't do so well on this one. I still watch way too much TV.
Next, I resolved to dress more professionally at work. Again, not so much. I just can't justify dressing up for the kind of work I do. It's just not part of the culture. I will say that whenever I have to teach a class or give a seminar, I do make an effort to dress up (but I always did this, so I can't really count it as an improvement). Oh well. Maybe some day.
Finally, I resolved to be more physically fit. I kind of made progress in this area. I did in fact join a gym, I just haven't gone very often.

Now onto my resolutions for this year. I am proclaiming 2010 as my Year of Self Discipline. I know, I know, sounds like a lot of fun. But, you know what? Self discipline is exactly what I need. I think I'm getting about 40% out of my life right now. This is probably because I'm only putting about 40% effort into most areas of my life - some areas are getting more (like Harper is probably getting around 95%), but some are getting even less (don't make me mention these ones). So...in order to rectify this situation and ultimately enjoy my life more, I am making several resolutions that all revolve around me being more self disciplined in one way or another. I'm writing these down for you to read for a reason. I need to be held accountable for these things. I give you, all of you, permission to check up on me.
Ok, here's my first one: I resolve to spend quiet time with God first thing every morning. I wake up a good hour before my alarm goes off in the morning. And guess what I've been doing with that hour. I lay in bed and worry about and dwell on things. Little things, big things - it doesn't matter. I worry and dwell about lots of things which is absolutely the biggest waste of time in the world. I know better. So, instead of beginning my days like this, I resolve to get up and spend time with the Lord. I don't have an agenda for this time. Some days I'll probably read, some days I'll probably just pray, some days I might sing a song. But, I do intend to keep a journal of my mornings. I feel like God has been trying to talk to me for a long time and I just don't make time to listen to what He is saying. Quieting my own voice is hard for me. But, as an act of worship, I resolve to be more disciplined in this area.
I have other resolutions too. I'm going to break them up into several posts. So stay tuned. As I go along, please let me know if you are resolving some of the same things or if you have had success in a particular area. I think I'm going to need all of the help and encouragement I can get this year.
5 comments:
I've been thinking about a couple of resolutions. #1 -- I want to be more productive each day. That is, I want to waste less time every day. #2 I've been thinking about trying to blog more -- maybe everyday?! But if I keep resolution #2, I would, in effect, be breaking resolution #1. I still need a couple of days to think about it.
Fran- Keeping up your blog is not a waste of time. I love to read your posts. And, at least for me, blogging is kind of cathartic and a good way to organize my thoughts - neither of which is a waste of time in my opinion.
I just read a posting from a friend on FB and it said something like "Do your New Years Resolutions honor God?" Wow. That made me re-visit the resolutions I had in my head. . .hmmmmmmmmm. What good is a resolution if the Cross isn't in front of it? Good start for you!
I just have started looking around on mikebickle.org. It's AWESOME because it has TONS of teaching series', complete with notes and MP3's. You could start with one of his series and listen to the MP3 in the car or whatever. There's stuff ranging from faith, family life, grace and walking in love to hard-core end times teachings. Check it out!!
Blogging for me is so time consuming! I mean, I have to read everyone elses blog (which IS productive for me because you all are so full of wisdom) and since I'm on the computer already, I might as well check facebook and everyone's links and pictures, etc. Before I know it a couple hours have gone by!
Post a Comment