A couple totally unrelated things for today:
1. M&Ms make my child crazy. It's not the ingestion of the M&Ms but the managing of them that turns her into a lunatic. She has shed many a tear over who gets to hold the bag and how many are in the bag. Last night she got mad at me for saying the word M&M. Apparently, she was the only person allowed to say it. I wish I would have had the video camera rolling as she spun around with fire in her eyes and shook her finger at me while yelling "No Mommy!"
2. I am profoundly out of shape. I went to the gym last night and really pushed myself on the treadmill. It wasn't horrible, but I know I have a long way to go if I want to run this 10K in May. On a positive note, I got new running shoes. I actually went to a running store and got fitted. They make a huge difference. This is the kind I got. Love them.

3. This is what I am doing at work today. I dissect out these tiny blood vessels from a mouse and then thread them onto these ultra tiny hollow glass tubes that are surrounded by liquid. Then I tie them on with threads that have been unwound from a surgical suture - these are the threads that make up a suture (a whole suture would be way too thick). Then I add chemicals to make the blood vessels contract and relax. All of this work has to be done under powerful dissecting microscopes. I have steady hands and I'm pretty good at manipulating very small things. I haven't found a use for this skill outside of work, but I'm sure one day it will come in handy.

5 comments:
#1 -- that's too funny! What's the deal with the M&M's? Is it the colors? Does she feel that way about Skittles?
#2 -- I'm sure you'll do great!
#3 -- Why are you doing that with the mouse blood vessels? What are you researching or is that top secret?
one and two...totally relate to (except I'm the one having trouble with M&M's...please read my post from today.) The exercise...scary. I am having so much trouble starting up-total avoidance. But my pants don't fit, so something has to happen!
number three...ahhh! A scientist, I am not.
You'll do fine with the 10K. It is hard ot get back into it, but your muscles remember and you'll be back in shape in no time.
I was wondering the same thing about the blood vessels.
Fran- We haven't tried skittles yet. I'm assuming the same thing will happen. It's not a color thing though. It's more of a control thing.
Fran and Kelly- I'm doing some experiments where I injure blood vessels and then graft some abdominal tissue onto the injured site. Then I check to see if the grafted tissue helps the vessel heal any faster. The experiments I did yesterday were checking to see if the grafted vessels were able to contract and dilate just like a normal uninjured vessel would. Aren't you glad you asked...
Now I want to know what it's like to be so smart!
Post a Comment