Yep. Today's my 30th birthday. I'm ok with it. Harper woke up crying this morning (very unusual) and was kind of cranky until I dropped her off at baby school which reminded me that today is just another day.
But, I will say that I have given more retrospective thought to this birthday than others in the past. For the most part, I'm ok with where I am in life. I don't feel old. I still feel about 25 despite the fact that I go to bed much earlier and have gained about 10 pounds since then. I like my life. I like my husband and I like my daughter. I like my family and my friends. I like my job. I like that I haven't given up on trying to better myself. But, I will say that there is a part of me that looks back over the years and wishes I could have gotten more out of them. I wish I could go back and re-do college. I wasted a lot of time and missed a lot of opportunities. I wish I could go back and spend more time with grandmas and grandpas that aren't around anymore. I wish I never would have owned a hair crimper. But, nobody gets a do-over. So I guess I need to make the next 30 years count for more so I don't look back when I'm 60 and think that I wasted my time. Ok, enough introspection.
At the risk of my mom killing me, I thought I'd share this picture from 30 years ago. I was not an easy delivery. 30+ house of labor that culminated in an emergency C-section. Not fun. But, it looks like she forgave me.
And finally, here's one from my 10th birthday sleepover. Yeah, I rocked the side pony tail and had a NKOTB poster over my bed. What's it to ya? The girl on the far right just had her first baby about a month ago. How time flies...
Anyway, to close out this post I thought I'd leave you with something fun. This story ran on NPR yesterday. It's about a book that compiled 6 word memoirs (a 6 word phrase that describes your life) from famous people. You can read/listen to the NPR story here. Today I think my 6 word memoir would be Still trying to figure it out. What would yours be?
5 comments:
Happy Birthday! I have to say that I saw the picture of your mom holding you and thought "Why is Elaine wearing those glasses???" You're the spittin' image of your mother!
Happy Birthday!!
I'm not really sure what my 6 word memoir would be. Will have to think over that one :)
Have fun on your day!
Happy, Happy Birthday!
Let it go. There's no shame in owning a hair crimper. Cause maybe I...I mean you...still do.
Happy Birthday Elaine!
My 6-word memoir: I wish I was thirty again!
Post a Comment