Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Missing My Muchness

A couple weeks ago, I finally watched Alice In Wonderland. I have to say that I liked it. One scene in particular really stuck with me. A little background for those of you that haven't seen the movie (all 2 of you), in this scene Alice tries to tell the Mad Hatter that she can't be the one to slay the Jabberwocky because she just doesn't slay.


I keep thinking about muchness. I think I've lost a lot of my muchness. I'm safe. I'm predictable. I'm good at damage control. I like being comfortable. But, I'm missing out on a part of life that I was wired for. Like Alice, there are things that I'm designed to do, but I talk myself out of. I need to get back some of my muchness. How about you? How's your muchness?

1 comment:

Corey H said...

Elaine,

When I saw this movie, the same exact thing hit me SO hard, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. My "muchness" is so different by definition than it used to be a handful of years ago, and I'm thankful for that. I don't think that my muchness then was always a great thing, but whatever it was I certainly had a lot of muchness sometimes. Now that life has (thankfully) changed, I feel like I've most noticeably lost the ability to express myself clearly and comfortably in social situation... which leaves me talking to myself in the shower. Why do all of the best thoughts and epiphanies happen in the shower when you can't write anything down? I have a lot of things to write down. My muchness is easy conversation.

Where do you think your muchness is hiding?