Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pap Jim

This is my Pap Jim.


My cousin posted this picture on facebook. I just about fell to pieces when I saw it. Pap's been gone for a while, but I still think about him all the time. He was a good guy - a coal miner from Pennsylvania who took up boxing during the Depression to earn what ever he could (this is actually a picture of his boxing license). Of course, I didn't know him as that. The guy I knew never left the house without a hat, always spoke softly, and grew the best tomatoes in town.


3 comments:

Francy said...

That is a great picture to have! He was your grandfather?

Anonymous said...

He might have fought my Grandfather! My grandfather (Ed Schillo Sr.) used to box back in the day and not too far from him in PA. Looks like they were near the same age. Small world!

Elaine said...

Fran - Yep. He's my grandpa.