This summer, Harper's teachers have really been focusing on the importance of reading with your child. They have scheduled all kinds of fun activities that the parents can join the class in doing - like an ice cream social, parent/child puppet making, a luau, etc. One of the ongoing projects has been for the parents to keep a weekly log of all of the books they've read with their child. We're supposed to keep track all week and turn the log in on Friday. The teachers count how many books you've read that week and add it to your total for the summer. They then display the total on the wall next to your child's name.
Sounds great, right? Well, this simple task has caused me all kinds of anxiety this summer. Actually, anxiety might be too strong of a word, but I've definitely spent more time thinking about Harper's total than necessary. The thing is, Harper and I read together every day. But, it just so happens that she wants to read the same book over and over and over and over. For whatever reason, it's hard for me to articulate that we read "Dora Saves the Mermaid Kingdom" 57 times this week. So instead, I just write it down once and turn the paper in.
No big deal. I know that Harper and I are reading and spending quality time together. I also know that because we read so much, her verbal development is ahead of the curve and she is fostering a genuine love for books.
But, every time I see the totals on the wall in her class room, a little part of me feels inadequate. I am guessing that Bryce and Olivia do not share Harper's love of reading the same book over and over again (and if they do, God help their parents).


It's really not that big of a deal. I know we're on the right track. I just thought I'd give Harper's future therapist a heads-up for when Harper tells her that she felt her mom did her a disservice by not keeping up with the other kids' book totals.
4 comments:
I would count every single time I read her the same book. I would bet you that is what the other parents are doing because EVERY kids wants to hear the same book over and over and over again.
I'm with Kelly. We had to keep track of books read in Kindergarten and first grade and I counted every time I read to them. I guarantee that's what the other parents are doing too.
It could be worse-my son went though a phase when he was three and he HAD to watch "The Wizard of Oz" every.single.day.
I used to love that movie.
That's funny...I always felt a little annoyed when Christian had to read each night and I had to turn in the form (first grade)...other kids had read twice as many books, but he was reading on a higher level. I didn't think it seemed fair. Oh well. I guess we know what we know and that is what is important. :)
Post a Comment