98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Cells
I took this picture at work yesterday. The red cells are muscle cells and the green one is a nerve cell. The nuclei are in blue. I like my job.
Yep. I stained the cells with red and green fluorescent antibodies that were specific to particular proteins in muscle or nerve cells. The blue is a stain that binds to the DNA in the nuclei.
5 comments:
Cool! You added the colors right?
Yep. I stained the cells with red and green fluorescent antibodies that were specific to particular proteins in muscle or nerve cells. The blue is a stain that binds to the DNA in the nuclei.
That is cool. Jonathan is studying cells right now.
Pretty.
I could never do your job, but I think it's totally cool that you love it so much!
Post a Comment