Sunday, November 7, 2010

Super-Sized Travel Post

Last week, Harper and I loaded up the car and headed to South Carolina to visit our friends, Heather, Matt, and their little boy, Evan. 


Heather and I worked together in Cincinnati. Now, she's doing some really exciting research on heart regeneration (Click here to read a recent news article about all the cool things she's doing. She's kind of a big deal.) at Winthrop University. When she invited me to give a seminar at her school, I jumped at the chance to mix business and pleasure. 

The kids were just babies the last time they saw each other. 


Once we got all of the science stuff out of the way, we packed a lot of fun into the next few days. We started off by going to an awesome children's museum.  These next few pictures represent the ten seconds that the kids were still enough to snap a picture in the three hours that we were there. 

Fireman Evan - by far his favorite exhibit




Who knew water could be so fun...


There were cars that needed fixing...



And cars that go real fast...


And a grocery store... 


The kids practiced their skills at the bank drive through.


 Harper exploring a sunken pirate ship. 


The next day, the kids got up early and wanted to play. Evan was a gentleman and shared all of his trains and trucks. Harper also came prepared. She packed an extra tutu just in case Evan wanted to wear one while they danced. What? You didn't know that we always travel with at least one tutu? Well, we do! And it came in handy. 



After the dace party, we took a train into downtown Charlotte. It was awesome! What a great public transportation system. 


Once in Charlotte, we headed to the children's library


It was a very cool library - lots of interactive reading stations. 


What a fantastic time we had. It was so awesome to hang out with Heather. She always has a way of inspiring me to do better science and just be a better person in general. I miss working with her every day. But we (and the kids) had so much fun on our visit that I'm sure we'll do it again soon.

Harper on the drive home



2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love the dance video. I miss light up shoes.

Christina said...

That is so great! I love getting together with old, good friends. I have a group of friends from seminary and we try to get together twice a year, once with kids and one just moms.
I'm so glad you had fun...a good children's museum is a great find! :)