98% of the human genome is noncoding DNA. Termed junk DNA, this vast majority of all human DNA has no known biological function. Why would we have so much nonfunctional genetic material? Are these the instructions for superpowers that are waiting to be tapped or are they really just junk left over from millions of years of modification? I don't know about you, but I'm hoping for superpowers.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Name That Tree
This tree lives in our backyard. It's pretty fancy. I'm not sure what kind it is. Cherry? Crabapple? Any botanists out there want to take a stab at it?
The blossoms look just like our ornamental crabapple except ours are a lighter pink. Does if have small fruit on it in the winter? The fruit is pretty in the winter and the birds eat it.
2 comments:
The blossoms look just like our ornamental crabapple except ours are a lighter pink. Does if have small fruit on it in the winter? The fruit is pretty in the winter and the birds eat it.
Fran- Thanks for the info! I'm not sure about the fruit. But, I was leaning toward crabapple, so I'll go with that.
Post a Comment