Thursday, June 23, 2011

Grocery Store Perspective

I used to hate grocery shopping. It was seriously one of my least favorite things to do. Now,  I rather enjoy it. 

I'm sure this change of heart has a lot to do with my shopping buddy. 


Harper and I have been tackling the grocery store together from more or less day one. When she was a baby, I would strap her into her Baby Bjorn and we would tag team the shopping list (and by tag team I mean that I would get what we needed and she would fall asleep).

Now, she's a little more participatory in the shopping experience. The store that we go to has one mini shopping cart that she loves to push around and put food into. ONE. Do you know how much pressure and anxiety I feel pulling into the parking lot knowing that if I do not procure the one mini cart in existence, Harper's world will end? Luckily, it was available last night. And despite the numerous times it was rammed into the back of my legs, we had a successful and fun shopping outing.

I think it's this kind of thing that I enjoy most about being a mom. Our day to day routine. The rhythm that we've developed. She's only three and I'm already keenly aware that our rhythm has an expiration date. One day, she'll be too busy to come to the store with me. She'll have friends to hang out with or studying to do (lots and lots of studying to do). Until then, I'm going to relish these moments and enjoy our trips to the store.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Clearly, I have been taking the wrong approach in selecting grocery stores! I must go find one with a mini cart.

Christina said...

You might be able to find a small shopping cart at a yard sale, they have toy carts that are metal, so sturdier than the plastic toy carts. They are smaller than the grocery store's minis, but it's still a cart, and it could stay in the back of your car! :)