Friday, September 9, 2011

I Promise This Blog Is Not Going To Turn Into A Stroke Blog

I really do prefer to write about my kid or weird things my husband does (love you, Rob!). So, I promise that this blog will return to its regularly scheduled programming soon.

But, I just had to share this with you. One of my friends tipped me off about this amazing video. Jill Bolte Taylor, a neuroscientist, had a massive stroke. Her description of what it feels like to have a stroke is fascinating. But what is even more remarkable is the perspective that she gained in the aftermath.

My situation was nowhere near this traumatic. But, I can definitely relate to the paradigm shifting attitude adjustment that comes along with something like this. In the last couple days, I can't count the number of times that I have said "I'm really ready to get back to life as usual." But honestly, I don't want to return to life a usual. I got a glimpse of how fragile life can be and I realize that there's no time for life as usual.

At the end of the video, Dr. Taylor talks about how in every moment you can choose the person that you want to be. This statement really resonated with me. I am going to start making some different choices. How about you? Let my wake up call be your wake up call.


1 comment:

Christina said...

I am going to have to watch the video later, since it's long. I really struggle with that business of choosing the person you want to be. I often know just how I ought to be acting/feeling/thinking and yet it's still a battle to get there (if I can at all). I am looking forward to hearing what she has to say.