Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankful For Choices

Today, I am thankful for choices.

Today was kind of a blah day for me. From the time I woke up, I realized that I was teetering on the edge of a bad mood. There was really no reason for me to be in a bad mood. It was a beautiful day and I didn't have anything particularly pressing to accomplish. But nonetheless, I felt like I was in a funk.

As soon as I realized this, I had a choice to make. I could choose to indulge my bad mood or I could choose to turn things around. I could choose to be grumpy (for no reason) or I could choose to be joyful.

I'd like to be able to tell you that right then and there, I chose joy and turned myself around.

But, the truth is that I had to keep reminding myself all day that I had no reason to be in a bad mood. I had to keep choosing to be positive. Every time I felt myself slipping into grumpiness, I had to choose to snap out of it.

In the past, I probably would have failed at days like today. I would have given into the bad mood. I would have been miserable and infected those around me with negativity.

But today, I made progress.

So tonight, as I reflect back on the day, I am thankful that at any given moment, I have the chance to choose what kind of person I am going to be. I have the chance to choose what the script of my internal dialogue is saying. I have a chance to choose how I perceive myself and the world around me. I have the chance to chose to be joyful. I have the chance to chose to be thankful.




`

No comments: