Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Taste Impairment

So, I'm back.

Did you miss me?


I hope you're not expecting a long profound post for my foray back into the blogosphere, because you are going to be disappointed if you are.


Instead, I am going to update you on the state of my taste buds. (The next post will include something profound-ish and/or a picture of my kid. Promise.)


So without further ado... 


On Saturday, I bought some new mouthwash.




This particular mouthwash promises to:
                    1. rebuild my enamel
                    2. prevent cavities
                    3. clean my teeth and gums 
                    4. freshen my breath 


All without the burn of alcohol!


Could there be anything better?


So I tried said mouthwash on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, I woke up, brushed my teeth and used the mouthwash for a second time. 


And while I am confident that my enamel is being rebuilt, my cavities are being prevented, my teeth and gums are being cleaned, and my breath is being freshened...


I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO TASTE ANYTHING FOR THREE DAYS!


I used this mouthwash TWO times and THREE days later, I still cannot taste a darn thing. 


So...I did a little digging on the interwebs and it turns out that this mouthwash contains a chemical called cetylpyridinium chloride. It's an antiseptic that is also used (alarmingly!) in some pesticides. 


Not only does it kill microorganisms, but it can also cause taste impairment in some people -- LIKE ME! Furthermore, it can cause some people's teeth to turn brown! 


Not super helpful, if you are shooting for pearly whites!


NONE of this is contained on the label. Seems like it should be. 


Needless to say, I will not be using this product again. 


For now, I will wait patiently for my taste buds to recover so I can taste things again. 


Anything.


I would just like to taste SOMETHING. 


PLEASE. 


And for the record, P&G Dental Hygiene Department, you need to put this kind of thing on the label. 



3 comments:

Heather said...

Crud! I have been buying that for my kids! I think I will find a homemade mouth wash recipe to make for them for now on. Maybe something with baking soda and mint?

Christina said...

That? Is crazy. But I drink a lot of soda, which supposedly has some kind of flame retardant in it. I may be wrecking my teeth and building up double secret fat deposits, but I will not catch on fire!

I am glad you are blogging again! I did miss you!

Christa said...

Wow! That's pretty horrible! And I pitched a fit when my husband switched our mouthwash to that weird kind that leaves gooey blue balls in your mouth and you can't eat or drink anything for 30 minutes. Gross.