
So I have finally gotten off my proverbial butt and decided to do something that has been in the back of my mind for a while. Our family has decided to stop using plastic bags from the grocery store. We ordered some reusable bags from this site. They have some interesting information about how much petroleum is consumed by making plastic bags and about how manufacturing paper bags has an even bigger impact on the environment than plastic bags. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get with the program. I guess I thought that bringing my own bags to the store would be too much of a hassle. In my mind I also justified my use of plastic bags (I used them for a variety of other things around the house like lining small garbage cans and disposing of kitty litter). In any case, I am turning over a new leaf. My excuses and justifications were small-minded. This is an easy way that I can lessen my personal impact on the environment. It's kind of cool to think that Harper may never remember a time when we used plastic bags. Being a good role model for her is good motivation for positive change. Thank you to my greener friends for planting this seed in my head and who are leading by example. I'll let you know how it goes.
8 comments:
I have a ton of reusable bags... never remember them when I go grocery shopping (even if they are in the trunk of my car). :(
Your Mom and Dad are reading your thoughts. Just because you are married and have a wonderful Skink, doesn't mean we can't ground you!
You go girl - I'm so proud of you!
Updates like this make me all warm and fuzzy inside (yes, I'm weird)
I often find it troublesome when I am trying to conquer a MAJOR grocery shopping excursion, to take several reusable bags in at a time. I look like I'm carrying a load of laundry into the store and I get lots of weird looks. Yesterday I hit the motherload. While shopping at Aldi I found a SUPER-SIZED reusable bag, about the size of 3-4 regular ones. I proceeded to fit about 60 bucks worth of groceries in there. Yeah baby. When it comes to reusable shopping bags- super-size me.
Nice work, but how do you carry the super-sized bag?
bravo! I have been trying to go green myself.
I had to transport the bag from the store the car via shopping cart. :)
-Erin
IKEA has GIANT reusable bags that could each fit 3 or 4 paper bags' worth of groceries inside... The problem is that when I fill the bag full of goods at the grocery, cart them to the car and then lift them into the trunk for all of 5 seconds, I fail to realize how heavy they truly are until I have to haul them 50 yards from my parking lot to our apartment. I've learned to fill 2 separate bags- perishable/meat items that go immediately into the house, and cans and stuff that wait in the trunk for Matt to get home. :) -Corey
Post a Comment