Friday, January 30, 2009

Too Much Information

Warning 
** This may be too much information for 
the faint of heart (read - men). **


Ok, so here's my problem. My skin is ridiculously dry right now. I know that it's winter and everybody gets dry skin in the winter, but it is seriously driving me crazy. I basically bathe myself in everything from baby oil to coco butter to intensive moisturizing lotion, but nothing is helping. The humidity level in our house is pretty good (around 50%) so I don't think that adding an extra humidifier would make that much of a difference. That's why I'm coming to you. Does anyone have any foolproof remedies for dry winter skin? If so, let me know. I feel like I'm molting here... See TMI. 

7 comments:

lauriecooper said...

drink LOTS of water - I've always heard that our skin's moisture comes from teh inside out. And also apply all that stuff after BARELY drying off after the shower - locks some of the moisture in and oh yeah, don't bathe any more than you have to - totally serious.

Elaine said...

You're right. I need to drink more water. I don't know why I always forget to do that. It makes such a big difference for so many things.

Kelly said...

Water doesn't help! I can drink gallons a day and my skin still flakes off this time of year. It is so gross, and I am over it. I have tried everything. So if you find anything, please share!!

melanie said...

Jon has very 'special' skin. It is always dry in varying degrees and will break out with rashes and hives much more than is normal for any one human. We use organic soap, which if you can't make it to a health food store like Whole Foods or Wild Oats, you may be able to find Dr. Bronner's at your grocery if they have an organic section. Also, as someone else mentioned, don't dry off after a shower and use a non-perfumed lotion then. Good luck!

Erin Hull said...

I think Curel is the best lotion for really dry skin, even though it's taxed. Have you ever tried Corn Huskers lotion? It has a weird consistency but it works really well. I also think shea butter is better than cocoa butter.

Corey H said...

Hmmmmm... I was going to say that drinking lots of water helps... it seems to help me, but it might depend on the person. Either way, can't hurt. I take biotin supplements to help skin/hair. Have you tried breaking vitamin E capsules (the kind that are full of vitamin E oil) and rubbing that into your molting spots? Sometimes I get hoof-like elbows and I use Eucerin cream (whatever the "Dry Like Whoa" formula is, officially) a couple times a day and that zaps them back into shape. It feels kind of funny after it's rubbed in- I wouldn't use it as hand lotion, but any other "parts" would be ok.

HEY! The security word to post this comment is "genes." Did you do that on purpose?

Virgie said...

I'd suggest using hand CREAM, not lotion. It helped me and Jimmy with his tough construction man hands out. I've also been digging the Banana Boat Aloe and Vitamin E combo.

What about using Flax Oil on your food? It works well (barely noticeable) on sandwiches. And, it's good for the whole body! ;)