I'll be honest. Harper has been driving me a little nuts this week. She's in this phase where she pretends to be a baby. This includes, but is not limited to, speaking in baby talk, crawling instead of walking, and sucking on binkies. The kid hasn't taken a binky since she was 6 months old... until last weekend when she found the box containing all of her old ones.
To solve the binky problem, I rounded up all of the stray binkies and hid them in the top of her closet. When she couldn't find them the next morning, I told her that the Binky Fairy came and got them so that she could give them to a little baby that actually needed them. There were tears. And, yep. I lied to my 3 year old. But, desperate times call for desperate measures.
While the binky cravings have subsided, the baby talk and crawling have not. As of this morning, we are now instituting a zero tolerance policy for these behaviors. Time outs will be doled out accordingly.
I was thinking about how annoyed I was at the whole situation as I walked into the Children's Hospital this morning to get a latte from the coffee shop (I told you, desperate times call for desperate measures).
That's when it happened. I got Jesus Juked. If you don't know what a Jesus Juke is, read this.
As I'm making my way to the coffee shop, I see a mom holding a little girl on her lap. The little girl is in pajamas, her head is shaved, and there are stitches in the shape of a halo around her entire head - as in she had some type of surgery that required removing the Top. Part. Of. Her. Head.
I Jesus Juked myself.
I immediately wanted to burst into tears. Here I am being annoyed that my kid is acting in a way that I find unpleasant. And here this mom is, probably just happy that she can hold her kid on her lap.
Talk about an instant attitude adjustment.
5 comments:
While not dealing with a "baby phase," our house is full of a stressful "whining phase" right now. I feel your pain! Loved the Jesus Juke link and your juke story. Said a little prayer for the precious baby at Children's....and will remember to count my blessings the next time my little one whines! ;-)
We all need to be Jesus Juked now and then. Remember, it is a phase. Mosts phases subside on their own if they are ignored. I know, easier said than done. I'l trade you for a week or so, you can have my almost 12 year old girl and I'll take your 3 year old!
I thought my daughter would take her binky to college (she didnt). But the day we opend the van door and she threw a real hissy fit and in the middle threw her binky angrily to get my attention---I seized the day-closed the van door and door off. Made the husband go in and toss all the binks before she grab her replacement. Her anger lasted all of 5 minutes-my relief from being hel binky hostage-well it lats till this day!
Dang. I feel the same way...I've been in a funk and this morning there was a guest preacher from the International Justice Mission (are you familiar with them?) and he spoke of (among other types of oppression) the trafficking of children, for exploitation (I know this is a topic that is important to you, too)...heartbreaking. It is a major perspective adjuster.
Christina - Agreed.
Post a Comment