Wednesday, April 13, 2011

TMI

I've been out of commission the last couple days. On Sunday night, I ate a prepackaged salad from a reputable grocery store and came down with the worst case of food poisoning ever in the history of the world. Seriously. It was borderline catastrophic.

I'm pretty much back to normal now and I can sit back and reflect on how utterly absurd the whole situation was.

First of all, I was eating the salad in an attempt to be healthy. My husband had two delicious looking pieces of pizza for dinner. Me? I thought to myself, that pizza looks good, but I'm going to have this salad instead. Look at me being all disciplined! Yeah. That worked out well. Next time, I'm having the pizza.

Secondly, my husband says funny things in times of crisis. Case in point...it's the middle of the night. I'm laying in bed curled up in a ball trying to understand what I did to bring the full wrath of God upon me. In an attempt to comfort me (I think), Rob leans over, gives me a hug and says "Do you think you're pregnant? Because it's ok if you are." Now some of you may remember that I had major morning 24 hour sickness that lasted the whole time I was pregnant with Harper. I can see why Rob might think that I was pregnant again. But let me assure you, I will come up with a much better way to share the happy news when and if I do get pregnant again.

Thirdly, I blame the Reese's Pieces. Approximately 2 hours before I got sick, Rob and Harper ran to the drugstore for some contact solution and brought back a bag of Reese's Pieces for a treat. Never before in the history of our family have we ever had Reese's Pieces in the house. This is significant because the last time I ate Reese's Pieces was literally 20 years ago. I was playing at a friend's house, ate some Reese's Pieces, and puked for no reason. I wasn't a pukey kid. It was totally out of the blue and that's probably why I remember it. I never ate Reese's Pieces again until this past Sunday. As I grabbed a couple pieces of candy, I instantly remembered that time 20 years ago and thought it was funny that I had such a strong association with Reese's Pieces and puke. Little did I know what was in store for me mere hours later. Coincidence or trigger? Either way, it was weird.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Glad you're feeling better!

Francy said...

That is weird! So no more Reece's Pieces or salads?

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better. Candy that makes you sick? Pfffft. Nonsense. Never trust a sneaky salad.

Christina said...

That is so weird! Stick with the m&ms!
If it was the salad, I wonder what was in there that made you so sick? I wonder if anyone else got food poisoning, like was there a bad batch of (pick whichever ingredient) that came from a bad source? Sorry that it happened to you!

Elaine said...

Christina - I'm guessing it was dirty lettuce, but I really don't know. I haven't heard of any major recalls, so I guess I was just lucky...