Today I went to a lovely baby shower for a lovely friend. I have no less than 7 friends who are currently expecting. It's all very exciting!
So today, I am thankful for new little babies.
Babies are great for many reason, but they are particularly awesome for their ability to transform their unsuspecting parents into decent human beings.
Not that you have to have kids to be a good person - I know lots of people without kids that are awesome humans. But they usually have something in their lives that play a similar role as kids do - spouses, pets, dedication to their church or community, etc.
Babies take us out of our comfort zones. They expose our weaknesses. They take no prisoners.
I speak from experience when I say that babies pull you out of self-absorbedness. They force you to be patient. They force you to be flexible. They force you to monitor what you say out loud. They force you to watch ridiculously annoying cartoons.
While there are definitely days that I can sympathize with those organisms who eat their young, at the end of those days, I'm still thankful for my kid because I know that she is helping me to become a better human being.
Whether I like it or not.

1 comment:
That last paragraph made me laugh out loud!
Post a Comment