Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful for a Cushy Life and for Those Who Facilitate It

Wow...this blogging every day thing is challenging. Coming up with things to be thankful for is easy, but finding the time to write a coherent post about them is not. Sigh...

Yesterday, I was meaning to write a post about being thankful for how easy my life is.

Despite all of the daily stresses and obligations I have to deal with, my life is super cushy. I have everything I need to be happy and comfortable right at arms length. And if I don't, I can hop in my car and drive less than a mile to Target and get what ever I need as well as things I didn't even know I needed to make my life even more cushy.

This is not the case for everyone.

All too often, I am way too concerned with how I can obtain more creature comforts instead of how I can help other people get basic things like clothes, diapers, food, heat, clean water - things that I take for granted every day.

I am thankful for what I have and I am going to be more intentional about helping others get what they need to be comfortable.

On a similar note, today, Veterans Day, I am very thankful for the people who make it possible for me to have the cushy life that I do.

I am thankful for people who serve or who served in dangerous situations in order to preserve my way of life.

Rob and I have gotten hooked on a new tv show called Bomb Patrol. It's a documentary-style series that profiles Explosive Ordnance Disposal Units serving in Afghanistan.

These units go out into the field, locate, and disarm improvised explosive devices (roadside bombs) and any other booby traps set by the enemy. IEDs alone are responsible for the vast majority of coalition casualties in Afghanistan. 




It is not for the faint of heart.

Members of these units put their lives on the line to keep other soldiers and civilians safe.

I am thankful for their service and the service of all veterans.






`

No comments: