
Don't you hate TV commercials that are 10 times louder than the show you are watching? Well, finally someone is doing something about it. The FCC already mandates that commercials can be no louder than the loudest parts of the programming they accompany. However, this has a gaping loop hole - watching an episode of 24 that climaxes in a burst of gunfire is one thing; a commercial that's as loud as a gunshot from start to finish is another. To close this loophole, Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) introduced a bill in the House of Representatives last year, the Commercial Advertising Loudness Mitigation Act (CALM). CALM would require the FCC to enact regulations prohibiting commercials from being "excessively noisy or strident". The House Energy and Commerce Committee will hold a hearing to consider the bill today. In addition, for those consumers who don't wish to bet their eardrums on the legislative process, TVs featuring Dolby Volume, a technology that automatically flattens out the sound spikes of commercials, have been on the market for a little over two years. I'm pretty sure the next TV we buy will have this feature.
4 comments:
OMG I can not stand that! There is one commercial in particuliar that comes on all the time and it is so blasted loud I want to scream. I want one of those tvs!
Yeah, it just seems like it's only certain commercials and it is VERY annoying.
I hate it when that happens after I fall asleep on the couch.
I hit the mute button 90% of the time. It is extremely annoying
Post a Comment