Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thankful For My Students

Today, I am thankful for my students.

I have a great bunch of students in my general biology class this semester. It's kind of a weird mix - half are non-science majors who put off their required science class until their senior year and the other half are freshman nursing majors who have to take my class as a prerequisite to their nursing classes.

Some professors might not like having these two very different groups combined in one class, but I really like it.

Every single one of them brings something unique to the table. They are all insightful and inquisitive. I find myself learning from them as they are (hopefully) learning from me.

Tonight, I got an email from one of my students. He sent me a link to this cool video of a white blood cell chasing down some bacteria.

He said he was trying to find out more about something we talked about in class and just happened to run across this.

He's an English major.



I am so using this in one of my future lectures!

This class is a great change of pace from the research part of my job. It involves a lot of instant gratification, something that's almost non-existent in research.

My students really recharge my scientific batteries and for that I am thankful.

No comments: